9/11/18 - Capital Project Groundbreaking
In December 2016, voters in the Remsen Central School District voted to pass a proposed Capital Improvement Project with a total estimated project cost of $8.7 million with $1.9 million of that coming from a capital reserve fund. The rest of the cost will be paid through state aid, and no additional tax impact is expected. This is Remsen’s first Capital Project in 17 years.
The district recently launched the construction phase of the project, with a groundbreaking ceremony on September 11. Administrators, teachers, staff, students, architects and contractors gathered together to move the first shovelfuls of dirt from the High School construction site and signify the beginning of the project.
The project will include improvements at both the high school and elementary school, as well as the adjacent athletic fields. The scope of this capital improvements project includes:
- Upgrades and addition of interior and exterior door hardware for additional safety
- Upgrades to fire alarm systems and site lighting, as well as pneumatic control conversions
- Renovation of the Career and Technical Education wing (1958 wing) to upgrade the guidance office, agriculture, art, business, technology and family and consumer science classroom spaces. Affected classes have been relocated for the duration of the project.
- Partial replacement of roof on the 1958 and 1998 sections to eliminate roofing that is beyond warranty and has exceeded it useful life.
- Reconstruction of entrance steps and stone surround at 1936 entrance
- Replacement of corridor lockers
- Renovation of “old storage building” at the Jr./Sr. High School site
- Improve softball field drainage and resurface track
- Majority replacement of roof to eliminate roofing that is beyond warranty and has exceeded it useful life.
- Reconstruction of curbs and walks, including pedestrian safety improvements
- Reconstruction of masonry and lintel
Thank you to our community for their continued support of our programs, facilities, students and staff.