4/20/18 - Arbor Day Celebration
On April 19 and 20, Remsen Elementary students celebrated Arbor Day and learned about the important role trees play in the environment.
On April 19, elementary students each planted their own white spruce tree seedlings and were able to see first-hand the structures of the growing trees. The students learned how to care for their trees and what they would need to grow when they took them home.
The white spruce seedlings were donated by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Saratoga Tree Nursery and the soil was donated by staff members from Remsen Elementary and the Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES Science Center. Recess staff, agriculture students and FFA members, under the direction of Mrs. Ives, assisted the elementary students with planting the seedlings.
On the following day, students gathered in the elementary auditorium for an Arbor Day Celebration assembly.
Presenters at the assembly were:
- Pledge of Allegiance led by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts – Johnathan Dickenson and Isabella Colon
- Poem reading – Sabrina Gates
- Arborist guest speaker – Mr. John Gates
- Arbor Day history and facts – Ashton Grower
- Arbor Day book reading – Jaiden Maher
- Arbor Day presentation – Mr. Bernard Davies, retired DEC forester
- Closing Song – Mrs. Beth Meeusen
Special thanks are extended to Mrs. Williams for organizing and planning this year’s Arbor Day Celebration.